Re: [O] How about lifting the limit of 35 tasks in org-clock-history?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] How about lifting the limit of 35 tasks in org-clock-history?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 08:12:56 +0200

On 2018-09-06, at 16:18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I decided to put a warning about this in the docstring in my patch.  My
>> assumption was that this is enough.  If a user wants to change the
>> default, he will most probably see the docstring and will have to
>> actively ignore the warning.
>
> I don't think this is enough. As you put it, it instills doubt without
> explaining anything. Why 35? Why "may not work"? What "may not work"?

Agreed.  I attach a patch with a more verbose docstring.

It is perhaps still not ideal - in particular, the warning is not
visible in the Customize interface - but I do not think this is a big
deal.  My line of thinking is that:

- if a user wants to change this setting, they will either look up the
  docstring and understand the limitation (btw, even the built-in way
  works for org-clock-history-length as high as 76 or so, provided you
  have a really high frame), or

- use Customize, which is potentially a trouble - but in that case,
  I would assume that the user fiddles with org-clock-history-length
  because they clock in many tasks, and then they will see that the list
  in the *Clock Task Select* buffer is too long anyway, and dial the
  setting down.

An alternative could be to change the hard-coded 35 in the code into yet
another variable, say, org-clock-history-max-length, and set it to 35.
Still, if a user wants to increase org-clock-history-length beyond 35
(or whatever this could be changed to), it is IMHO the /current/
behavior which is really confusing, and introducing a cap on the cap
would only make things worse.

WDYT?

--
Marcin Borkowski