Re: [O] Bug: org-insert-structure-template leaves point at inconvenient

From: Allen Li
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-insert-structure-template leaves point at inconvenient place [9.1.14 (9.1.14-932-gf82a30-elpaplus @ .emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180923/)]
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 08:41:18 +0000

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 8:06 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > org-insert-structure-template (C-c C-,) leaves point at an inconvenient
> > place (X marks the spot):
> >
> > #+begin_example
> > X#+end_example
> >
> > My expectation is that right after inserting the template, I can start
> > typing or yank right into it:
> >
> > #+begin_example
> > #+end_example
>
> Use `C-o'.
>
> I think the current behaviour is better because you can yank text within
> the newly created block without dealing with a blank line later on.

But it works less well when you yank text that doesn't have a trailing newline.

Either you need to press C-o in one case, or DEL/backspace in the
other (to get rid of the extra blank line).

I guess I don't have a huge preference, but the current behavior is
annoying because it's the opposite of the old template behavior (e.g.
< s TAB).

One advantage that I can think of is that an extra newline is an
annoyance but otherwise harmless, whereas missing a newline messes up
the syntax.

#+begin_example
yanked text

#+end_example