Re: [O] Bug: org-insert-structure-template leaves point at inconvenient

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-insert-structure-template leaves point at inconvenient place [9.1.14 (9.1.14-932-gf82a30-elpaplus @ .emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180923/)]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 10:14:22 -0400

> Hello,
>
> Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> org-insert-structure-template (C-c C-,) leaves point at an inconvenient
>> place (X marks the spot):
>>
>> #+begin_example
>> X#+end_example
>>
>> My expectation is that right after inserting the template, I can start
>> typing or yank right into it:
>>
>> #+begin_example
>> #+end_example
>
> Use `C-o'.
>
> I think the current behaviour is better because you can yank text within
> the newly created block without dealing with a blank line later on.

I also prefer the current behaviour.

I regularly use C-c C-, e C-c ' C-y C-c '

to create and populate my example blocks.  This handles the newline
correctly and does not break the syntax.  This also has the benefit of
properly escaping text that interferes with org's syntax.

When you have text in the kill buffer that looks like org headlines it
pastes outside the example block -- which is proper behaviour when
moving headlines around.

try this:

C-c C-, e C-y
with the following your yank buffer