Re: [O] How to make agenda generation faster

From: Michael Welle
Subject: Re: [O] How to make agenda generation faster
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 09:20:54 +0200

Hello,

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Orgers,
>
> my agenda takes almost 10 seconds to show up.  Are there any ideas for
> profiling that?
>
> I suspect that archiving a lot of old entries I don't use anymore might
> help, but is there any way to e.g. display some stats on which
> file/headline took how much time?
since no one answered yet, there are some similar threads. IIRC the way
to go is to use elp for profiling.

Well, on my laptop the initial agenda run takes about 7s or so (150
agenda files) using the current day/week agenda ("a"). All subsequent
(after loading the files) agenda runs are fast (split second I would
say). I had some performance issues in the past caused by SCM. Emacs
tried to check if every file is checked out in the latest version. That
slowed down the process a lot (starting 150 mercurial processes in
sequential order, checking results, etc.). The initial run doesn't
bother me much. I bound the initial agenda run to an idle timer at Emacs
start.

Regards
hmw