Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: [O] Display-level automatic subtree numbering
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 21:58:06 +0200

On 2018-10-23 at 14:33, John Kitchin wrote:
> There are some answers at
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/32396/complete-path-numbering-of-org-mode-headlines-and-plain-lists

Interesting.  Thank you (I’m unfortunately not very friend with search
engines): that also raises altogether the question of tables of contents.

But that doesn’t answer the question: why “doesn’t it exist”? shouldn’t
these functions be mainlined, if legally permitted?

Btw, since I read overlays create slowness proportional to their
numbers, and that’s surely a lot of overlays, wouldn’t it be better
using text properties?  these support `display' as well, and, I checked,
even for strings of different length: is there a particular reasons they
wouldn’t work as well?