Re: [O] Possible feature request (but more of a request for comment/opin

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Possible feature request (but more of a request for comment/opinion)
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 17:01:53 +0200

Emil Vatai <address@hidden> writes:

> According to the developer.mozilla.org link, a quote and a citation should
> look like this:

> through anything. You read and you're pierced.</p>
>    <cite>– Aldous Huxley, Brave New World</cite>

Note that according to some other site, I can see:

    Any inaccuracies in this index may be explained by the fact that it has
been sorted with the help of a computer.<br>
    — from <cite>The Art of Computer Programming</cite> by Donald Knuth

> The quote part is straightforward in org-mode:
>
>     #+attr_html: :cite https://www.huxley.net/bnw/four.html
>
>     #+begin_quote
>     Words can be like X-rays, if you use them properly – they'll go through
> anything. You read and you're pierced.
>     #+end_quote
>
> But what to do with the:
>   <cite>– Aldous Huxley, Brave New World</cite>
> part?
>
> So I was (for a brief moment) motivated to implement #BEGIN/END_CITE for
> org-mode, but now it doesn't seem to make much sense to do so. I can
> implement it simply by adding an export html block (for the one situation I
> need it).
>
> Hopefully this example clarifies what my question is about.

As I suggested, "begin_cite ... end_cite" is not the way to go. If you
want to implement this, it should be an HTML attribute for the
"begin_quote ... end_quote" block. I gave you an example of such
implementation in my previous answer.

The issue, however, is that <cite>...</cite> only covers a part of the
reference, e.g.,

  — from <cite>The Art of Computer Programming</cite> by Donald Knuth

I think including the author is tolerated:

  — from <cite>The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth</cite>

but the "from" part is still not within the <cite> tag. Therefore
a :cite attribute may not be useful.

Regards,