Re: [O] OT: gmane seems to be back

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] OT: gmane seems to be back
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 09:50:43 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 30.10.2018 um 16:57 schrieb Nick Dokos:
>> For a couple of weeks, I had not been able to connect to gmane, so I
>> finally gave up and changed my preferences so that I could receive the
>> email from the list.  I have not seen any acknowledgement anywhere
>> that it was down BTW - did anybody here notice? Or was it just me?
>
> Plain NNTP wasn't down at all, but connections that use TLS stopped
> working some time ago and probably still don't work.

I have this in my .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method
             '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                     (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
                     (nntp-port-number 563)
                     ;; (nntp-port-number 119)
                     (nnir-search-engine gmane)
                     ))

and that works now, but did not work for a while earlier in the month
(or perhaps longer).  IIUC what you said, port 119 with some other
setting (nntp-open-network-stream perhaps, or nntp-open-plain-stream)
for the connection function would have worked during this time? I'll
have to remember that for next time...

Thanks!
--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler