Re: [O] Help with sharing emacs-org presentation

From: Feiming Chen
Subject: Re: [O] Help with sharing emacs-org presentation
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:30:31 -0400

Thanks, Jens, for your comment!  I understand your point of view!  My point is that Org mode is not ubiquitous and most people (esp. non-programmers) do not use emacs.   But I do concur that Org mode is  great for collaboration IF a team can agree to using it.

Thanks for your interesting references!  I am glad to learn about "single source" and OER.  Your OER material looks fascinating: I don't know that .org file can be rendered instantaneously as HTML on GitLab.

~ Feiming

On 2018-10-25, Feiming Chen wrote:

> I gave a talk on emacs-org in a local workshop (Government Advances
> in Statistical Programming) in Washington D.C. yesterday.  I'd like to
> share the slides and org source file with the community (see attached).

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder why you stress the following:
- Not good for collaborative use (unlike Microsoft Office).
- Good for private, non-collaborative use.

My view is the opposite: Org mode is excellent for collaboration as
it is plain text, suitable for diff/merge in Git repositories.
Thanks to the separation of contents from style,
cross-organizational collaboration is possible, which I find *very*
hard with any office tool:  Changing a document master leads to all
kinds of layout destruction.  Switching to a different corporate
identity is just hard with what-you-see-is-what-you-get tools.

In contrast, Org mode can be a basis for what is called Single
Sourcing [1] in the context of technical writing.

You can see my approach towards Open Educational Resources with Org
mode at [2].

Best wishes
Jens

[1] http://rockley.com/articles/Single_Sourcing_and_Technology.pdf