Re: [O] FW: [RFC] Link-type for attachments, more attach options

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: Re: [O] FW: [RFC] Link-type for attachments, more attach options
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 08:57:14 +0000

Hi,

This goes a bit off topic; But what I mean is mainly two things:
1) Generalize the org-agenda so that we can have multiple ones

   Generalize org-agenda by allowing us to have multiple ones, and make them
more general by thinking of them as a set of views that works on sets of files.
Maybe this is not for all, but I would appreciate to create multiple "agendas"
(even though I'd call them "libraries" in instead), and possibly also an
aggregate agenda consisting of other agendas.

2) Make files function as virtual "level-0 headings"

   If two org-mode files exist in the same folder with different names, it
would be awesome to think of (and work with) them as two top-level headings
inside one org-mode buffer. Similar to two level-1 headings inside an org-mode
file. For this to work all properties we can define for regular headings should
be possible to define for these "level-0 headings". For example an
attachment-folder or ID, a deadline, scheduled date, or TODO-keyword should in
that case be configurable on the whole file. I guess some new conventions
regarding syntax and existing properties would have to be created as well.

> Also, another thought about the attachment: links.
> It would be useful to implement links to attachments, which are not in the
> current org entry.
> For example, something like "attachment:ORG-ID:file-name", where ORG-ID
> refers to ID of an arbitrary org entry.

I wouldn't call that attachment-links, but rather ID-based links (since
attachments are local based on either headline ID or attach-dir of the current
headline). ID links exist already but link to headlines.

If you rather see ID-based attachments as some kind of global attachments for
all your org-mode files, I'd think the link-type should reflect that and be
called something like "ID-attachment:file-name", "ID-@:file-name",
"@ID:file-name" and be a separate link-type.

> Best,
> Ihor