Re: [O] suppress ++ markup in orgmode?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:21:27 +0100

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> hm. I would have interpreted it as an empty string with a strikethrough,
> followed by a plus. It makes sense to require 1 or more characters
> between them though.
>
> Why is +-+ not a - with a strikethrough? Because it is a table line?

It was a bug I was not very motivated to fix. It should now be fixed on
the export side, at least. I.e., "+-+" is exported as a strike-through.

> Or + + is not a space with a strikethrough. I guess there are word
> boundaries required.

Striking through nothing doesn't make sense, does it? In any case,
blanks are forbidden in the inner part of the markers.

> I thought it was interesting that ++ + and + ++ show no strikethrough, but
> ++ ++ does. Evidently a strikethrough on + +. An editor, on the other
> hand, might want to strikeout excess spaces.

We have to strike a balance here. Allowing emphasis markup around spaces
has more cons than pros, IMO.

> It isn't a big deal, I just changed the editmark syntax to avoid
> clashing with org-syntax.

The real issue here is that you're trying to bend Org syntax to fit
a foreign syntax. It may imply pain.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou