Re: [O] Possible bug in org-mode (MELPA version as of 1018-11-25) : #+la

From: emanuel . charpentier
Subject: Re: [O] Possible bug in org-mode (MELPA version as of 1018-11-25) : #+language: is not (fully) honored.
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 08:21:06 +0100

TL;DR : your fix works, but I disagree with the absence od
documentation and default. See below :

Le mercredi 28 novembre 2018 à 15:06 +0100, Nicolas Goaziou a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Emmanuel Charpentier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Close, but no cigar :
> >
> > I used the `customize' interface to add it to `org-latex-default-
> > packages-alist' (because the package to load is compiler-
> > dependent),
>
> This has nothing to do with compiler. You can add it to `org-latex-
> packages-alist'.

AFAICT, polyglossia is to be preferred to babel for use with xelatex or
lualatex. I'll see if this can be accomodated.

> [ Snip... ]

I'll do that.

> See `org-latex-classes' docstring:

> it should be ("AUTO" "babel" t).

OK. That's much clearer. And does what is intended, BTW.

Shouldn't that be default ?(No, I don't (yet) know *how* to do that..).

> >   * If this setup is necessary to get #+langiage: honored fot LaTeX
> >     export, this should be done by default (i. e. in org's source
> >     code).
>
> AFAIR, there is no clean way to handle that, so we let users decide
> what
> they want.

Thus introducing a serious problem : exporting to text or ODT works as
described, whereas export to latex needs (undocumented) supplementary
steps.

At the very minimum, this need for further config should be mentioned
in the docs ; preferably, a default should be proposed.

> >   * One might wish to allow to fully use babel's (and
> > polyglossia's)
> >     abilities by specifying a set of possible #+language:s (first
> >     call) or switch to another language (further calls down the
> >     file...).
>
> See `org-latex-classes' docstring.

Thanks for the tip ! Now, I begin to understand...

> >   * concerning french: I understand that "frenchb" is obsolete and
> >     that one should use "french" instead (better compatibility with
> >     ispell and flyspell-babel, among others)...
>
> I didn't know that. I'll fix it in master.
>
> >   * I suggest a '(#1# "fontspec" t '(xelatex lualatex)), and
> > possibly
> >     an '(#1# "mathspec" t '(xetex luatex)) or '(#1# "unicode-math"
> >                                                 '(xetex luatex))
> >     entry(ies) to be added to the default : xetex is more and more
> >     used, and luatex is officially the successor to pdftex...
>
> I use neither xetex or luatex so I cannot comment of this.

I'll try to whip up a proposal.

Sincerely,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier