Re: [O] ob-clojure should not tangle with inserting (ns ..) line when no

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] ob-clojure should not tangle with inserting (ns ..) line when no :ns specified.
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 08:22:19 +1100

Sorry, only just noticed this response in my spam folder - gmail is
tagging your messages as spam because it could not verify it was legit.

stardiviner <address@hidden> writes:

> Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think the problem here is that really, project.clj is not a valid
>> clojure source file. It is really a clojure data file or clojure
>> snippet (I mean in the sense that you cannot execute it or include it as
>> a dependency within a clojure program - it is input data for the lein
>> build tool). If lein was being developed from scratch today, rather than
>> project.clj, you would probably have project.edn.
>
> Actually a few months ago, Sean on Slack clojurians helped me out for
> using clj and deps.edn. Just because of habit inertia. I'm still using
> Leiningen. As you said, the Clojure community is moving to clj/clojure +
> deps.edn. I decide to following the trend. Start to use it now.
>

>> The question is, should we allow setting ns to nil/"", preventing
>> inclusion of a ns line, which would make 'real' clojure source files
>> invalid just to support this edge case or should we consider an
>> alternative solution e.g.
>>
>> - have a 'lein-project' source type which could perhaps provide
>>   additional support for editing project.clj files (as I suspect lein is
>>   on the way out - replaced with things like clj or boot)
>> - try using edn-mode and having support for edn as a valid language
>>   type. I've never used edn mode and I'm not 100% certain project.clj
>>   and edn are completely compatible.
>>
>> It seems to me that the preferred build tool is likely to become clj or
>> derivatives of clj. I've noticed increasingly longer delays in new lein
>> releases (the 'reflection' warning has been there for nearly 12 months
>> now, as has the incorrect classpath warning on some platforms).
>>
>> In the long-term, I think org would probably benefit from integration
>> with clj rather than cider for ob-clojure as it is likely to be more
>> stable and less complex. Using cider has always felt like pushing a
>> square peg into a round hole to me.
>
> I remember we have a short discussion about ob-clojure use clj instead
> of CIDER before. I totally agree on this. Seems already has an Emacs
> package named "inf-clojure". I added this "integrate inf-clojure to
> ob-clojure" as my task. But not sure when to check it out. I have many
> tasks on my list. I have an idea, would you create an GitHub repo for
> this? I would like to contribute on it.
>
> As I said previous, if I use "deps.edn", use `edn-mode' would solve this
> problem. But there is no `edn-mode'. I checked out MELPA, only has
> package named "edn" which is used to Support for reading and writing the
> edn data format from elisp. I also did a search on GitHub. No luck.
>
> Anyway, I'm going to switch to clj + deps.edn
>
> And Thanks, @Tim.

At present, I have no time to work on any clojure. I'm completely
consumed with work demands and unfortunately, I've not convinced them to
allow me to use Clojre/clojurescript (yet!), so stuck in javascript
world for now.

I will have leave in the early year and will likely re-visit this. I too
need to move from lein to clj + edn. It would be really good to simplify
the org interface for clojre and clojurescript and I suspect clj + edn
will be the way to go. The older inf-clojure was OK, but it lacked some
higher level features we do need as well, so it will take a bit of work.

Tim

--
Tim Cross