Re: [O] Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:47:52 -0500

David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Sorry my website on org-mode is stale and I don't currently have time to
>> update it.  I stopped updating it in 2015 after changing jobs and moving
>> to the windows platform (at work).  My main issue is lack of free time
>> to spend on this project.
>>
>> The downloadable org file is actually the result of publishing the org
>> source from my very out-of-date Linux workstation.  The original org
>> file (all versions) is available in the git repository.
>>
>> I'd be happy to answer any questions you have related to the site or my
>> current use of org-mode.  I still work in a similar way described on
>> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html but my agenda and some workflows have
>> evolved a bit from what is described in the document.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bernt
>
> Thank you for replying.  I'll just ask a few questions and maybe expand
> upon them later.
>
> 1. Are you still working with Emacs/Org from 2015 or have you updated
> (but not updated your paper)?

I am working with the latest git version (master branch) on Windows
running Emacs 25.1.1

$ git describe
release_9.1.14-1065-gdc7477070

(currently 2 commits behind master since I haven't updated today)

> 2. If you've updated to Org v9+, did you find significant changes from
> what you documented in your paper?  In other words, will running your
> paper through tangle and trying to use the results with latest Emacs and
> Org be likely to work?  Particularly agendas...

There were some changes:

  - dropping org-structure_template_alist and temporarily using
    org-tempo. Sinc then I've switched to C-c , which is much better.

  - org-time-clocksum-format -> org-duration-format

  - refile changes (use caching)
  - change time grid definition in agenda
  - org-finalize-agenda-hook -> org-agenda-finalize-hook

> 3. Can you suggest a more detailed manual on the setup and use of
> Agendas?  The agenda manual with Org is not really clear to me.

I am not aware of any other manuals.  When I started I used the
out-of-the-box org-mode agendas (daily, weekly, separate task lists) and
then when I was comfortable with how that worked I started making small
customizations so they worked better for me and this eventually turned
into the setup described on my website.

Regards,
Bernt