Re: [O] Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mode - Organize Your Life In Plain Text!
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 17:16:11 +0000

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> I am working with the latest git version (master branch) on Windows
> running Emacs 25.1.1
>
> $ git describe
> release_9.1.14-1065-gdc7477070
>
> (currently 2 commits behind master since I haven't updated today)

You're a little ahead of me on Org and I am using Emacs 26.1 under
Cygwin to get a more Unix-like environment (personal taste).

> There were some changes:
>
>   - dropping org-structure_template_alist and temporarily using
>     org-tempo. Sinc then I've switched to C-c , which is much better.
>
>   - org-time-clocksum-format -> org-duration-format
>
>   - refile changes (use caching)
>   - change time grid definition in agenda
>   - org-finalize-agenda-hook -> org-agenda-finalize-hook

You're much more advanced than I am on Org.  I mostly a beginner who is
also looking to hook it into BeOrg and other iOS tools for my family.  I
like Org for managing all the family information, but Apple tools are
simpler for the non-computer literate.  Things like being able to use
Siri to create family reminders or grocery lists is hard to ignore (but
coming with BeOrg).

> I am not aware of any other manuals.  When I started I used the
> out-of-the-box org-mode agendas (daily, weekly, separate task lists) and
> then when I was comfortable with how that worked I started making small
> customizations so they worked better for me and this eventually turned
> into the setup described on my website.

I've hacked Emacs some over the last 35 years, but I'm not a deep Elisp
programmer.  Over the years, I was more the type to read other people's
Elisp packages and add the interesting ones into my .emacs.

I think I'm beginning to see from your custom agenda commands how to
adjust the standard agenda views without doing too much elisp
programming.  I was hoping to find more examples of agenda setups to get
simpler ones that I could use.

Thanks
--
David