Re: [O] Bug: cannot export to beamer, even with (require 'ox-beamer) [9.

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: cannot export to beamer, even with (require 'ox-beamer) [9.1.14 (release_9.1.14-1059-gadec50 @ /home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/org/)]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:22:44 -0500

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>> You are probably loading ox-beamer which adds it and then loading the
>> customized version which resets it. Try changing the order.
>
> The setting in my .emacs is:
> (load-file "~/emacs/init/emacs_init.el")
> (setq custom-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
> (load-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
>

> So I changed that to
>        (setq custom-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
>         (load-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
>         (load-file "~/emacs/init/emacs_init.el")
>
> Then the export works, but other problems occur. If I open a org file

If your only problem with the original order was what you described before,
don't change the order: just do

(load-file "~/emacs/init/emacs_init.el")
(setq custom-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
(load-file "/home/oub/emacs/init/custom-init.el")
(require 'ox-beamer)

and delete the original `(require 'ox-beamer)' from wherever it was
before (presumably in ~/emacs/init/emacs_init.el). You are only trying
to avoid the loading of your customizations from clobbering
org-latex-classes.

BTW, the fact that you *do* have problems when you change the order,
probably means that there is strong coupling between your init files
which is not a good thing. You might want to spend some time
refactoring them and breaking interdependencies. If you decide to do
that, small steps (and good backups) are probably a good idea.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler