[O] Bug: Secondary smart quotes are exported as apostrophes. [9.1.14 (9.

From: Coleman Gariety
Subject: [O] Bug: Secondary smart quotes are exported as apostrophes. [9.1.14 (9.1.14-1-g4931fc-elpa @ /home/coleman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.1.14/)]
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 10:41:33 -0800

According to documentation (org-export-with-smart-quotes) should treat
"pairs of single quotes as secondary quotes." This text:

'foo'

Should be exported to HTML as:

‘foo’

However, org-mode 9.1.14 exports this text as:

’foo’

This does not occur when a secondary pair of quotations occurs within a
pair of primary quotations. This text:

"'foo'"

Gets exported (properly) as:

“‘foo’”

This also occurs when exporting to pdf, latex and odt.

I was able to get org to export smart quotes as expected by commenting
out line `5505` of `ox.el`:

5503 ;; Not already in a level 1 quote: this is an
5504 ;; apostrophe.
5505 ;; ((not level1-open) 'apostrophe)

Even with this line commented out, apostrophes are properly
exported. (Even within pairs of primary and secondary quotations.)

Is something wrong with my configuration? Or is there a problem with the
org-export--smart-quote-status function?

Thank you.
Coleman

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-07-05
Package: Org mode version 9.1.14 (9.1.14-1-g4931fc-elpa @ /home/coleman/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.1.14/)