Re: [O] Mark vacation days

From: John Lee
Subject: Re: [O] Mark vacation days
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 14:49:24 +0000

I don't know a good way to do this out of the box.  Here are two ways you could
go about it, but they both involve a bit of programming.  They would all use
org-agenda-day-face-function similar to the code you already posted.

1. Least programming: Add emacs diary entries (rather than recording the days
using org datestamps -- see
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Special-Diary-Entries.html)
 and adapt https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/45778/5495 to check diary-lib.el
instead of holidays.el .  Note this won't work by using the support for adding
diary sexps directly to org files
(https://orgmode.org/manual/Weekly_002fdaily-agenda.html#Calendar_002fDiary-integration)
 without something extra, because then the diary sexp information is only in
org, not in the emacs diary itself, so you can't just look in
diary-entries-list.  All pretty confusing I know.

Untested (!) based on adapting the stack exchange answer above to extend that
(which pulls in holiday.el holidays + tests whether the day is a weekend -- the
following is intended to hint how to extend that to pull in diary-lib.el dates
too):

Note I'm guessing you'd have to set org-agenda-include-diary for this to work,
but I have not tested this *at all*, so this really is all just a hint.  Also,
watch out for the weird dependence of diary-lib.el on calendar-date-style.

(defface my/org-agenda-holiday '((t (:inherit default)))
  "Base face used in agenda for holidays, whether today's date or not."
  :group 'org-faces)
(defface my/org-agenda-holiday-not-today '((t (:inherit (my/org-agenda-holiday
org-agenda-date))))
  "Face used in agenda for holidays other than for today's date."
  :group 'org-faces)
(defface my/org-agenda-holiday-today '((t (:inherit (my/org-agenda-holiday
org-agenda-date-today))))
  "Face used in agenda for holidays for today's date."
  :group 'org-faces)

(defun my/in-diary-p (date)
  (car (alist-get date diary-entries-list nil nil #'equal)))

(defun my/day-face (day)
  (let* ((abs (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian day))
         (todayp (org-agenda-today-p abs))
         (day-of-week (calendar-day-of-week day))
         (holidayp (or
                    (= day-of-week 0) (= day-of-week 6)
                    (holiday-in-range abs abs)
                    (my/in-diary-p day))))
    (cond ((and todayp holidayp) 'my/org-agenda-holiday-today)
          (holidayp 'my/org-agenda-holiday-not-today)
          (todayp 'org-agenda-date-today)
          (t 'org-agenda-date))))
(setq org-agenda-day-face-function #'my/day-face)

2. Maybe nicer: write something similar to org-agenda-to-appt that generates a
list of holiday days rather than appointments, then run that code from places
like 'after-save-hook.  Then consult that list in your