Re: [O] Bug: HTTP links that contain %20 get malformed to %2520 - affect

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: HTTP links that contain %20 get malformed to %2520 - affects ODT export [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /home/ehere/emacs-scripts/org-9.2.1/lisp/)]
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 18:06:07 +0100

Hello,

Edmund Christian Herenz <address@hidden> writes:

> Consider the following HTTP link:
> http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr14/en/tools/quicklook/summary.aspx?ra=11%2054%2048.85&dec=+24%2043%2033.0
>
> I have this link in the kill-ring, mark 'some text' in an org-mode buffer
> and run org-insert-link (C-c C-l).  Then I yank the link (C-y) in the
> minibuffer, and hit enter twice (since the marked text is what I want
> for the description).
>
> Now, this is what I get in the org-mode buffer:
> [[http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr14/en/tools/quicklook/summary.aspx?ra=11%252054%252048.85&dec=+24%252043%252033.0][some
>  text]]
>
> As you can see the %20 gets encoded again to %2520. %25 is the % sign
> defined in RFC 3986. I think we run into the problem that is mentioned
> in this RFC in Sect 2.4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986  -
> i.e. encoding an decoding the % sign in URIs when it is not required, as
> the URI is already formed.

It is not an issue per se. For historical reasons, Org needs to escape %
characters, and uses percent encoding to do so. So you have two layers
of percent encoding.

> Th expected behavoiour would be that the link gets inserted as is.

It does not work that way at the moment. However, that might change in
a next release. This is being discussed at the moment in this ML.

> However, when exporting to ODT, no such decoding happens - and I got
> malformed URL (i.e. with %2520 instead of %20) in my ODT document.

This should now be fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou