[O] Opening linked PDFs in OS's own browser

From: Christian Holz
Subject: [O] Opening linked PDFs in OS's own browser
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:04:47 +0100

Hi,

I have an org file with lots of linked documents. The links all have the format:

[[file:/ssh:address@hidden:/path/path/file.pdf][Title for document]

I can click on the links in Linux fine and the documents open in evince or whatever viewer I want to use. However, when I try to click on them on OSX, it seems that the call that is actually made is "open %s" where %s is replaces with the link, e.g. "file:/ssh:..." instead of some temporary file that OSX can then open.

Of course this open fails on OSX as open or preview.app does not understand the URI syntax provided here.

I have tried to find documentation on alternatives to "%s" that would pass either a temporary file or a URI that preview.app can understand but was not successful. It cannot be that hard, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Christian