[O] bug#34684: bug#34684: 26.1; Strange characters when inserting date

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [O] bug#34684: bug#34684: 26.1; Strange characters when inserting date
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:53:08 +0200

> From: Takaaki Ishikawa <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:42:39 +0900
> Cc: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> Have you tried to use `set-local-environment'?
> I usually use the command to change the date formatting in my init.el as
> follows:
>
> (set-locale-environment "en_US.UTF-8") ;; "ja_JP.UTF-8"

You are on GNU/Linux, right?  Because the above will not work on
Windows, because UTF-8 os not reliably supported, not even in Windows
10 (which added some improvements in that area).

But perhaps this could help:

  (set-language-environment "Chinese-Big5")

However, it's possible that even this will not help, unless the system
codepage is changed to something that can support Chinese.