[O] org-sbe: error when passing strings as parameters to/from Python blo

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] org-sbe: error when passing strings as parameters to/from Python blocks
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 10:26:29 +0100

Hi!

I want to test/use Python with org-sbe:

#+NAME: classificationfm
#+BEGIN_SRC python :exports none :var prob :var impact
result = ""
if prob == 'high' and impact == 'high':
    return 'A'
if prob == 'low' and impact == 'high':
    return 'B'
if prob == 'high' and impact == 'low':
    return 'C'
if prob == 'low' and impact == 'low':
    return 'D'
return 'undefined'
#+END_SRC

(Yes, I should move to elif and the Python code might be coded with
less characters in general: this should not be the point here ;-) )

| prob | impact | class  |
|------+--------+--------|
| high | high   | #ERROR |
| low  | high   | #ERROR |
| high | low    | #ERROR |
| low  | low    | #ERROR |
#+TBLFM: @2$3..@>$3='(org-sbe "classificationfm" (prob $1) (impact $2))

I'd expect to get the values of the "class" table column: A, B, C, D
instead of #ERROR.

Reading the manual, I found:
| NOTE: By default, string variable names are interpreted as
| references to source-code blocks, to force interpretation of a
| cell’s value as a string, prefix the identifier a "$" (e.g.,"$$2"
| instead of "$2" or "address@hidden" instead of "@2$2").

Therefore, I tried the following lines ...
#+TBLFM: @2$3..@>$3='(org-sbe "classificationfm" (prob "$1") (impact "$2"))
#+TBLFM: @2$3..@>$3='(org-sbe "classificationfm" (prob $$1) (impact $$2))
#+TBLFM: @2$3..@>$3='(org-sbe "classificationfm" (prob "$$1") (impact "$$2"))
... all with same error in the result.

My setup: Org mode version 9.1.6 on GNU Emacs 26.0.90 and GNU Emacs 25.1.1

I started a reddit thread[1]. In this thread, somebody was posting
this table showing the error:

#+NAME: myfunc
#+BEGIN_SRC python :var n="1"
return "ok"
#+END_SRC

| 10.3 |  9 | -18 | a      | 14 | 11 |  1 |
|   ok | ok |  ok | #ERROR | ok | ok | ok |
#+TBLFM: @2='(org-sbe myfunc (n @1))

However, using the comment from the manual about strings, I
prepended the reference with "$" ...

| 10.3 |  9 | -18 | a  | 14 | 11 |  1 |
|   ok | ok |  ok | ok | ok | ok | ok |
#+TBLFM: @2='(org-sbe mytestfunc (n address@hidden))

... which now looks OK ;-)

So, back to the initial situation: what is my error or do we have a
bug in Org?

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/b0ll1v/embedding_python_code_in_table_formula/

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/