Re: [O] property matching in org-agenda-custom-commands

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] property matching in org-agenda-custom-commands
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 14:39:14 -0400

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> Embarassed that I still don't really know how to use the agenda commands
> after all this time :-(

Ditto - I need to read the doc for org-agenda-custom-commands every
time I try to use it.

> I have a bunch of trees that look in part like this:
> * Asisgnment 1
> ** Student A
> :PROPERTIES:
> :GRADE: 0
> :END:
> I would like to store a search in org-agenda-custom-commands. I generated it
> initially with ~C-c a < m
> +GRADE="0"~. Now I have tried to store it in org-agenda-custom-commands with
> this line:
>
> ("F" "Failing Students in Current Buffer Only" tags-tree "+GRADE=\"0\"")
>
> However, this seems to choke, and the agenda is not generated. There are no
> error messages in *Messages*
> so I'm not quite sure what's going on.  Can anyone see obvious mistakes in my
> syntax?
>
> Thank you!

This looks right and it also seems to work correctly for me.

One thing to note is the doc for tags-tree:

,----
|           tags-tree   Sparse tree with all tags matches in *current* file.
`----

so you need to be visiting the file.

Here's what I did:

I added it to the end of org-agenda-custom-commands with

(add-to-list 'org-agenda-custom-commands
             '("F" "Failing Students in Current Buffer Only" tags-tree
"+GRADE=\"0\"")
             t)

then added a bunch of entries to an org file:

* Asisgnment 1
** Student A
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 0
:END:
** Student B
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 1
:END:
** Student C
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 0
:END:
** Student D
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 2
:END:
** Student E
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 0
:END:
** Student F
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE: 3
:END:

Then while visiting this file, I did

C-c a F

I get a sparse tree with the headings for students A, C and E.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler