[O] scratching an itch: parenthesis matching in org

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: [O] scratching an itch: parenthesis matching in org
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 11:15:22 +0000

Hello,

just in case this is helpful to anybody out there, one of the (very
minor) annoyances for me writing in org has been that org treats angle
brackets (<>) as parenthesis in terms of syntax.  I write a lot of
mathematics in my document and these are typically operators and seldom
intended as brackets.  Having these known as parentheses in org's syntax
table makes showing matching parentheses not work properly in most of my
documents.

Adding these two lines to my org mode hook:

    (modify-syntax-entry ?< ".")
    (modify-syntax-entry ?> ".")

fixes the behaviour.

I haven't seen any negative repercussions (yet...).

Itched satisfactorily scratched! :)

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.3-327-g3375f0