Re: [O] Handling bilingual text in single org file?

From: org-mode
Subject: Re: [O] Handling bilingual text in single org file?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 18:40:04 +0200

> Am 11.04.2019 um 16:28 schrieb Loris Bennett <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a text I would like to keep in a single org file in both an
> English and a German version.
>
> I could just have first one version and the other and export via tags.
> However, ideally I would like to keep both versions of a given paragraph
> close together to allow easier translation and editing.  It would
> potential be nice to be able to fold up one language to just view the
> other.
>
> Does anyone have a good workflow for this use-case?

I had the same question about a year ago.
Here is what I came up with.
It works on section (subsection) level, not on paragraph level.
I can either export one language or both for comparison.
I’ve used yasnippets to insert the @@latex environments.

You can select which language to export by removing the space in the
+SELECT_TAGS: line.

#+TITLE: Übersetzung
#+DATE: <2017-12-08 Fri>
#+AUTHOR: Axel Kielhorn
#+LANGUAGE: de
# +SELECT_TAGS: export german
# +SELECT_TAGS: export english
#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport new glossar
#+CREATOR: Emacs 25.3.1 (Org mode 9.1.2)
#+LATEX_CLASS: komaarticle
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [english, german]
# +LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[noindent,parskip]{stdpage}
#+TAGS_ALL: german english new glossar

* Text deutsch                                                    :german:
@@latex:\begin{otherlanguage}{german}@@
  Hier ist ein Text.
@@latex:\end{otherlanguage}@@

* Text englisch                                                   :english:
@@latex:\begin{otherlanguage}{english}@@
  Here is some text.
@@latex:\end{otherlanguage}@@

This was used for one smallish project.