Re: [O] Interaction of Agenda with DEADLINE & SCHEDULED

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [O] Interaction of Agenda with DEADLINE & SCHEDULED
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 15:54:57 +0800

Hi,

There seems to be not much interest about this email, so I doubt that
the described functionality will be added to org any time soon.
However, let me try to give you some hints, which might be useful for
your personal config.

> For example, how would one create a custom agenda view that
>
> - shows all accomplished tasks within the DEADLINE last week
> - shows all accomplished tasks that missed the DEADLINE last week
>
> Then does the same for the coming week, i.e.
>
> - show all tasks which are due in the next week, i.e., within the
>   DEADLINE
> - show all tasks which are overdue

There is org-super-agenda package
(https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda), which already have a
part of the functionality. You can use :scheduled and :deadline
selectors as a starting point to achieve what you want.

A more direct way to approach this is a custom skip function. As a
starting point, see my own skip function for filter todo items with
deadline, but scheduled in future:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-agenda-skip-deadlines-before-schedule ()
  "Skip tasks, with deadline and scheduled in future and tasks without
deadline."
  (require 'org-agenda)
  (org-with-wide-buffer
   (let* ((tmp-deadline-time (flet ((org-back-to-heading (&rest args) t)) ; we
should be at heading already and it consumes too much cpu time otherwise
                               (org-get-deadline-time (point))))
          (tmp-scheduled-time (org-get-scheduled-time (point)))
          (tmp-cur-deadline (time-to-days tmp-deadline-time))
          (tmp-cur-schedule (time-to-days tmp-scheduled-time))
          (tmp-cur-day (time-to-days (apply #'encode-time
                                            (append '(0 0 0)
                                                    (list (nth 1
org-agenda-current-date))
                                                    (list (nth 0
org-agenda-current-date))
                                                    (list (nth 2
org-agenda-current-date)))))))
     (when (or
            (not tmp-deadline-time)
            (and
             tmp-scheduled-time
             tmp-deadline-time
             (> tmp-cur-schedule tmp-cur-day)
             ;;(> tmp-cur-deadline tmp-cur-day)
             ))
       (re-search-forward (org-get-limited-outline-regexp) nil 'noerror)
       (point)))))
#+end_src

> Ideally, the interaction could even be more informational, so for
> example, analysis of the available work time next week (assuming 40
> hours for example) vs. the total estimated effort of all of the above
> tasks, helping to answer the question of whether all tasks are even
> achievable given the amount of available work time.
>
> Another potential -and very valuable- analysis could be a recommendation
> of order given DEADLINE, priority and effort over a period of time, for
> example the next week. What should one do first, then second, etc. to
> maximize output over a given period of time?

What you want here is actually quite a complicated optimization problem,
which probably deserves a separate full project of its own.
I cannot comment much on this part since effort estimates never worked
for me.

Best,
Ihor