Re: [O] orgalist-mode: wrong indentation in message mode after recent ch

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: [O] orgalist-mode: wrong indentation in message mode after recent change in emacs
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 11:53:02 +0100

> "Basil L. Contovounesios" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The first is whether orgalist-mode couldn't use a custom
>> indent-line-function instead of advising what may or may not be set to
>> indent-relative by the user.
>
> I don't know how that would work in practice.

Me neither.

> But a minor mode taking control over `indent-line-function' sounds
> wrong.

Well, orgalist already "takes control" over indent-line-function and
indent-according-to-mode via advice, and the latter advice seems to
assume that indent-line-function is set to the default indent-relative
or indent-relative-first-indent-point.

>> The second is why advice--buffer-local does what it does.  Stefan, why
>> does it behave differently depending on local-variable-p?  Why can't it
>> simply call make-local-variable before returning the symbol-value?
>>
>> The third is why indent-according-to-mode hard-codes the check for
>> indent-relative and indent-relative-first-indent-point.  Wouldn't it be
>> nice if this check instead looked up some variable akin to
>> electric-indent-functions-without-reindent, that can be more easily
>> customised?
>
> So what is the current status of this? Do I still need to add
> a workaround around a workaround around a genuine Emacs bug? :)

Yes. :) I think the patch I proposed in my previous email should be
applied to orgalist, as a first step at the very least.

Thanks,

--
Basil