Re: [O] best ways to generate simple diagrams?

From: Heinz Tuechler
Subject: Re: [O] best ways to generate simple diagrams?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 21:08:37 +0100

Matt Price wrote/hat geschrieben on/am 06.05.2019 19:17:
So, I'm finding more and more that I want to include simple diagrams in my
course materials. At present I am generating them as svg's using Inkscape,
but that feels really tiresome to me. I would much rather make them
programmatically, preferably including the source code as an org-mode block.

I thought ditaa would be the tool for this, but I cannot figure out how to
do this work efficiently in ditaa.  So for instance, I have this simple svg
file (attached). It consists of two text-containing  symmetrical rectangles
separated by a bit of whitespace and connected by two curved arrows (one
pointing from each of the rectangles to the other).

Trying to replicate this in ditaa did not prove easy.  Editing feels
extremely labourious.  Am I missing something?  Is there a really good
tutorial somehwere that I'm just not finding? Or is there maybe another
tool I should be using instead?

Thanks as always,

Matt

Maybe plantuml (http://plantuml.com/en/) is useful, e.g.

#+begin_src plantuml :file hum-cs-interface-test.svg
skinparam ArrowColor Blue
node "Humanities" as H #DeepSkyBlue
node "Computing\n Tools and\n Methodologies" as N #DeepSkyBlue

N =l=> H
H =r=> N

#+end_src

best regards,