Re: [O] Cut and paste an entry programmatically

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Cut and paste an entry programmatically
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 12:16:16 +0200

Hi all

I found something else with ~org-paste-subtree~ that surprises me and
that reminds me of ~C-c *~ where I was never able to get a remindable
understanding of what it does until now when investigating deeper with
this minimal complete example:

#+begin_src org
,* a
,** b
- x
,** c
- y
,* d
,** e
- z
,*** f
,** g
#+end_src

With point on c and ~org-paste-subtree~ the level of the new heading
is 2 but on g the level is 3. Are the different levels intended
behavior? If yes it would mean the need to add logic to
programmatically get always the same level independent of the
structure of the previous heading. If no and the level would be always
2 or always 3 I would at least not find it confusing.

With point on x and ~C-c *~ the level of the new heading is 3 as
expected by me. But on y it is 2 where I would still expect 3 with the
strong argument that y should stay within c and not be "hierarchically
moved" to a. On z the resulting level 4 seems completely off.

Michael