Re: [O] Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 22:05:07 -0400

Daryl Manning <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced notice on
> some peoples' birthdays coming up.
>
> Right now, I use the following in a `cal.org` file to give me notice in
> agenda that birthdays are coming up:
>
> ```
> * BDays
>   :bday:
> %%(org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY")
> ```
>
> The generally feeds off a `contacts.org` entry of the nature:
>
> ```
> *** John Wick
> :PROPERTIES:
> :EMAIL: address@hidden
> :BIRTHDAY: 1975-06-06
> :END:
> ```
>
> What I'd like is to get, on virtually all birthdays , a week's notice through
> due soon (which I'll sort out in org-super-agenda in the view).
> Alternatively, is there a nicer way to tag or
> otherwise note some birthdays in the `contacts.org` so that I could note
> special people (close friends, family, etc) where I could set a specific
> advanced notice period so that I have time
> to do something special for them etc?
>
> Would love to hear peoples' approaches to this. In general, if I'm not
> looking out 2 weeks ahead (I spend most time in the day view), I can get
> surprised.

I use bbdb, not org-contacts, and I have this in one of my agenda files:

* Anniversaries
       :PROPERTIES:
       :CATEGORY: Anniv
       :ID:       409062f6-6cb1-467f-b192-2dfcb7b384ca
       :END:
%%(org-bbdb-anniversaries-future)

That gives me the default 7 days of warning, but you can pass an
argument to it to specify the number of days of warning.

The function is fairly generic, so it should be possible to adapt it
to org-contacts with some modifications.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler