Re: [O] suppress leading ":" in org-babel output

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] suppress leading ":" in org-babel output
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 16:57:50 +0000

> On May 27, 2019, at 7:17 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Jeremie Juste <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recall seeing this thread on the mailing list but I cannot find it
>> back.
>>
>> I would like to suppress the first line leading ":" in the following output
>>

>> #+NAME:mean_purchase_per_shopping_trip
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=6 :results output :session *R*
>> a <-sprintf("%.2f",12.234324)
>> cat(a,sep="\n")
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS: mean_purchase_per_shopping_trip
>> :
>>
>> : 12.23
>>

> FWIW, I just get the last line:
>
> #+NAME:mean_purchase_per_shopping_trip
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=6 :results output :session *R*
> a <-sprintf("%.2f",12.234324)
> cat(a,sep="\n")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 12.23
>
> This is with
>
>   GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32) of
> 2019-05-01
>   Org mode version 9.2.3 (release_9.2.3-367-gd79e80 @
> /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)
>   R version 3.5.3 (2019-03-11) -- "Great Truth"
>
> on Fedora 29.

I get what Jeremie reports (but he has a blank line inserted after the first
line, IIUC)

This is with:

GNU Emacs 26.1
Org 9.2.3
ess-version: 18.10.3
R version 3.6.0 (2019-04-26)

I believe this is new-ish behavior. I see some older files without the extra
line. Also, I think there are recent changes in ESS that pertain to comint
sessions.

FWIW, here is a clip from my session:

> x <- 6L
a <-sprintf("%.2f",12.234324)
cat(a,sep="\n")
'org_babel_R_eoe'

12.23

[1] "org_babel_R_eoe"

If Nick sees something different maybe a change in ESS is the culprit.

Not sure what the right path forward is ob-R.el, but as a workaround the OP can
use a :post header arg to strip the offending line.

HTH,

Chuck