[O] DMARC related changes starting this week for FSF hosted Mailman list

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: [O] DMARC related changes starting this week for FSF hosted Mailman lists
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 19:32:57 -0400

Over the next few days, the Free Software Foundation will be making
changes to our GNU Mailman systems, including lists.gnu.org,
lists.nongnu.org, lists.libreplanet.org, lists.fsf.org, and
lists.endsoftwarepatents.org, in order to address mailing list
deliverability issues reported by many users.

I wanted to specifically let orgmode know about this since it is a
fairly active list that is affected.

Messages sent from users with strict DMARC policy domains like yahoo.com
are often being rejected when sent to list subscribers by Mailman. See
the end of this email for a technical overview of DMARC and DKIM. There
are two ways to fix the issue by changing Mailman list settings.

The first option, and the preferable way for discussion lists, is what
we call the "unmodified message fix." There are Mailman list settings
which modify the messages by adding a subject prefix (e.g. [list-name])
or a footer. Modifying the message breaks DKIM message signatures and
thus DMARC. Following this option, we would turn those settings
off. Many lists are already this way and there is no change for
them. Instead of using the subject prefix to identify a list,
subscribers should use the "List-Id" header, To, and Cc.  List footer
information can also be be put in the welcome email to subscribers and
the list information page by list administrators.

Related to this, on June 7th, we upgraded the version Mailman that we
run. This fixed a bug where we were breaking the DKIM signature of any
reply message.

The second option is for lists which want or need to continue to modify
the message, for example with subject prefix or footer settings. We
would enable a Mailman list setting called dmarc_moderation_action:
"Munge From". With this setting, if a strict DMARC sender sends to the
list, we alter the headers of that message like so:

A message sent to the list: