[O] Links to LaTeX equations

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: [O] Links to LaTeX equations
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 12:55:43 +0000

Hello all,

it's that time of year where I have to think about revamping my lecture
slides (having just finished one year, the next one starts...).  I write
these in org and export to beamer obviously!

I teach a technical subject.  I therefore have quite a few equations in
my slides and I use LaTeX for these.  I would like to be able to use org
fully with respect to links and targets.  If I define a label in LaTeX
directly, \label{an-equation} for instance, I get no benefit from using
an org link to it, e.g. [[an-equation]] (by default, this leads to the
org exporter complaining about a missing target and if I tell org not to
complain I subsequently miss real errors).  So I use inline LaTeX to
provide the link, as in \ref{an-equation}.  But then I lose the ability
to jump to the target within org, something which is quite useful given
that I have many slides for the full module I teach.

The only satisfactory solution I have found is to do something along
these lines:

#+begin_src org
  The equation is:
  ,#+begin_equation
  <<an-equation>>
  y = x + 3
  ,#+end_equation

  (later) In equation [[an-equation]], we see nothing much.
#+end_src

This works in that I can jump to the label by clicking on the link but I
lose the ability to edit the equation in LaTeX mode.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.4-379-g1b74ae