Re: [O] CUSTOM_ID vs ID

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [O] CUSTOM_ID vs ID
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 09:53:31 -0500

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 3:10 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:

> I've often been confused why org-mode has both a CUSTOM_ID
> and a ID property.  I mean, why not just use one or the other name?

Custom ID are user-defined, and only meaningful in the scope of the
document. Also, they may appear as-is when exported, e.g., as an anchor
in HTML.

ID are (or should be) generated by Org, and are valid across files,
which means they need to be absolutely unique.

Org keeps track of ID if `org-id-track-globally' is non-nil (the
default). If this is nil, there is almost no difference between ID and
custom ID.

> When would I ever have both an ID and a CUSTOM_ID property for
> a heading?

You may want to refer to a heading from anywhere with id:... but need
a clean anchor in HTML export, for example.

FWIW, I never use ID property.

Hi Nicolas,

Ah yes, I remember when I was exporting to HTML and would have
both properties.  Thank you.

Also, I think I will stick with ID purely because I want links which
span multiple org mode files.

I also plan to learn some more Emacs Lisp to make this link creation
thing a bit easier.  I know there's been efforts to get org to behave a lot
like a Wiki (which I think it already does):
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-blog-wiki.html

I'd like to mess with Helm and get a custom helm source.  org-insert-link
can already use Helm, but it could be improved a bit.

* Show the IDs (*and* headings :-) of recently created links (because you know,
the IDs are hash codes (grumble grumble).  Currently Helm just shows the IDs :-(

* Show a second Helm list of headings (perhaps all headings in org-mode files)
- If heading already has an ID, then simply use that ID.

* Provide a context menu, where you can choose to create an ID
- Provide a mini buffer to *specify* an ID (evil laugh).  Default action will
create an ID

Thanks,
--Nate

Regards,