Re: [O] exported contacts problem

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] exported contacts problem
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 08:38:15 -0700

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> [2019-08-03 02:27]:
>> Okay, thanks for that run-down, pretty interesting. I've written a
>> package called EBDB[1] that's meant to be sort of an update to BBDB, and
>> while I think someone's using it with tens of thousands of contacts,
>> 192k records would probably exhaust it. It has pluggable data stores,
>> however, one of which will (eventually) be a proper external database,
>> so I'm always interested in how people are using this stuff.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/girzel/ebdb
>
> I have tried it. It has good concepts and integration. But I cannot
> switch to it.

No, and I think it would fall apart under your workload. But I would
like to make it better, and gradually get it closer to supporting the
sort of thing you're doing.

> Please, if you intend to make vcard import, don't make vcard stuff
> bundled with the ebdb, you will make repeated mistake.
>
> Make one vcard import package that give elisp structure, something
> like hash or alist, plist, whatever is better.

Yes, that's on my (mid-length) list of to do: a vcard parsing library
that just turns vcards into a couple pre-defined formats, or lets you
register your own consumption functions.

> Then such package is best to contribute to GNU Emacs.
>
> Then all other packages can use vcard import.
>
> This makes much sense rather than making it single-package oriented.
>
> I don't think that vCard complexity is necessary for contacts,
> standard is invented, but is too complex. But if you are doing it,
> than such feature can contribute to overall usage.

I'm also not fond of vcard, but I *am* fond of carddav, and having my
contacts synced to my phone, and shared with co-workers, etc. Otherwise
I probably wouldn't bother.

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> [2019-08-03 02:27]:
>> Okay, thanks for that run-down, pretty interesting. I've written a
>> package called EBDB[1] that's meant to be sort of an update to BBDB, and
>> while I think someone's using it with tens of thousands of contacts,
>> 192k records would probably exhaust it. It has pluggable data stores,
>> however, one of which will (eventually) be a proper external database,
>> so I'm always interested in how people are using this stuff.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/girzel/ebdb
>
> Not sure if you rely on vCard as some kind of "standard". It is
> attempt to globalize the contact keeping, but I don't find it good,
> not at all.
>
> It is way too complicated. It tries to encompass everything possible
> in one file, file which is probably not related to other files at all.
>
> Only relational database makes sense for complex contact management.

EBDB now provides for a sort of poor-man's relational database, with
multiple "roles" and relations, linking people to people and people to
organizations. But it's still limited and kind of awkward.

Eric