[O] ANN: org-ql agenda block support

From: Adam Porter
Subject: [O] ANN: org-ql agenda block support
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 10:07:12 -0500

Hi friends,

FYI, I just pushed a new feature to org-ql: custom agenda blocks.  This
allows the use of org-ql queries in custom agenda commands.

https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql#function-org-ql-block

For example, these two custom commands are equivalent:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
  ;; Org Agenda tags-todo version:
  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
        '(("ces" "Custom: Agenda and Emacs SOMEDAY [#A] items"
           ((tags-todo "PRIORITY=\"A\"+Emacs/!SOMEDAY")
            (agenda)))))

  ;; org-ql version:
  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
        '(("ces" "Custom: Agenda and Emacs SOMEDAY [#A] items"
           ((org-ql-block '(and (todo "SOMEDAY")
                                (tags "Emacs")
                                (priority "A")))
            (agenda)))))
#+END_SRC

However, the org-ql-block version runs in about 1/5th the time (0.7
seconds compared to 3.45 seconds on my collection of org-agenda-files).

org-ql started as a prototype for a "next-generation agenda" called
org-agenda-ng, but it evolved into its own package, which also provides
tools like org-ql-agenda and org-ql-search that provide agenda-like
views.

Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks,
Adam