Re: [O] RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command or

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] RFC: changes to the way prefix arguments work for the command org-todo
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 08:50:51 +0200

I have pushed these changes now.

Carsten

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:24 AM Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have been looking at the code for the command org-todo in combination with the setting of the variable org-use-fast-todo-selection.  And I am frustrated with the complication and special cases, so I would like to simplify.  Much of this complication stems from a time when the fast selection interface had just been implemented and I was not yet sure if I and others wanted to use it. I think things can be better.

But that does changes something with the user interface, so I am trying to figure out if anyone would be bothered by this change.

1. Right now, you can set org-use-fast-todo-selection to `prefix'.  With this setting, fast todo keyword selection is used when you call org-todo with a prefix argument.  I think this is not useful and I would like to remove that functionality.  Is anyone even aware of this effect of C-u and is using this?

2. I want to change org-use-fast-todo-selection to allow these values:
   - nil        Never use it
   - auto    Use it, if keys have been defined.  This would make it similar
                 to the tags selection.  I would accept the value `t' to mean the same,
                 for backward compatibility
   - expert  Use it, but do not pop up the window with the selections, only show them in the prompt (or don't show them at all,  am still considering).  This is because I have been bothered by the jumping windows when I do a selection that I do so many times a day, and where I know the keys blindly.

The default setting would be `auto'.  I myself would be using `expert'.

3. I want to make `C-u C-c C-t' to switch the TODO state and force logging a time stamp and taking a note.  I am already using that functionality (now harder to access, on `C-u C-u C-u C-c C-t'), I find it very natural and I think it is often better than configuring automatic note-taking for every change, at least for my working environment.  Automatic note-taking slows me down too often.

Any comments?

Thanks

- Carsten