Re: [O] minimal testing setup for pdf export?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] minimal testing setup for pdf export?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 10:27:24 -0500

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:34 PM Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> that does suggest that pdflatex is getting called somewhere else.
>>
>> Maybe you can edebug the export function and check the value of
>> default-directory to see where it is getting called.
>>
>> You could also try this
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>> (defun my-build (quoted-tex-file)
>>   (message "Building %s. Called from %s" quoted-tex-file default-directory))
>>
>> (setq org-latex-pdf-process 'my-build)
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> It won't build the pdf, but it will tell you in the messages where it was
>> called from. It might help figure out what is happening.
>

> huh.  that was kinda cool... but the value of default-directory seems to be
> correct.  However, this helped a bit:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (shell-command-to-string "echo $PWD")
>
> #+END_SRC
>

> #+RESULTS:
> : /home/matt/src/org-mode
>
> Not sure what's going on here, but this value is the same in a regular emacs
> and  "emacs -Q".  is this normal?

Did this get solved? It kind of bothers me to think it hasn't. I also
think this is a case where erring on the side of overwhelming details
would help a lot. Could you start from the beginning with the exact
process using emacs -Q, post the full output of *Messages* and *Org
PDF LaTeX Output*? Like in the above, you post the output of $PWD, but
not what the *Messages* buffer contained from John's code. Maybe they
are the same, maybe they are different, but we can't tell.

Example:
$ cd ~/
$ emacs -Q

M-x org-version
Org mode version 9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @
/usr/share/emacs/26.2/lisp/org/)

C-x C-f pdf-test.org

File contents:
* foo
<eof>

C-x C-s
C-c C-e l p

$ ls ~/
pdf-test.org
pdf-test.pdf
pdf-test.tex

Alternatively, insert the code from John Kitchin:

Wrote /home/jwhendy/pdf-text.org
org-babel-exp process emacs-lisp at position 8...
Saving file /home/jwhendy/pdf-text.tex...
Wrote /home/jwhendy/pdf-text.tex
Processing LaTeX file pdf-text.tex...
Building pdf-text.tex. Called from /home/jwhendy/
org-compile-file: File "/home/jwhendy/pdf-text.pdf" wasn’t produced.
See "*Org PDF LaTeX Output*" for details

I still don't feel I understand the full nature of your working
directory, what does and doesn't get saved in that directory, etc. I'd
love to help, but am not able to replicate for you!

Thanks,
John