Re: [O] Best practice for providing an Org-based application?

From: SYOGM Management
Subject: Re: [O] Best practice for providing an Org-based application?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 09:35:14 +0200

* Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> [2019-09-11 09:17]:
> This reminds me of this:
> https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2012/01/06/how-trello-is-different/
>
> I just had a minor enlightenment why Org-mode is so successful (within
> its niche, of course).  It implements a bunch of very general data
> structures - a tree, a table, a dictionary - and a few slightly more
> specific - a clock table, TODOs/tags, markup...

Exactly, it is well integrated. The tree is extremely useful.

And maybe it is popular because of... because of propaganda. There is
the manual and few demonstrations and then people get the "Aha" moment
sooner. THere are other hierarchical note editors.

Org mode I have discovered very late and I remember using `hnb' the
hierarchical notebook program that was written in curses, look here:
http://hnb.sourceforge.net/Screen-shots/ since its inception.

Yet such does not have good propaganda and it not implemented in the
Emacs editor.

There is also Cherrytree https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/ beautiul
application for note taking, just missing few features from Org mode.

Yet the beauty of it all is that Org mode has the simple text as its
foundation and no special format.

Jean