Re: [O] Bug: Operator associativity problem [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Operator associativity problem [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @ /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 05:23:37 +0000

On Wednesday, 25 Sep 2019 at 20:16, Justus Winter wrote:
> However, I cannot fathom the rationale behind this property, and for a
> spreadsheet-like application I consider it borderline negligent.

Not my place to defend (or otherwise) the decisions that went into defining the
grammar for Calc.  However, there is no single universal precedence definition
for algebraic expressions.  People do write, e.g. in heat transfer
applications, W/m^2 K to mean W/(m^2 K) which is not the precedence you believe
should be implemented.  Just because Excel, say, implements something does not
make it negligent for others to implement something different.

As a mathematician, I always write my expressions as, for instance, W m^{-2}
K^{-1} both in practice and when teaching to avoid all doubt.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.4-401-gfabd6d