Re: Publish to PDF on Linux: An impossible task?

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: Publish to PDF on Linux: An impossible task?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:24:50 -0800

Arch linux has a package, aside from any arch directly installed individualized texlive packages, that just installs the texlive network install script, and directs the user to run the script that is located in /opt .

This piece of magic is "texlive-installer",   available in the Arch Users Repository (AUR), makes it easier to use texlive from upstream sources, by doing the necessary work of handling dependencies.   Debian based distros require to install a dummy package to accomplish this, and some kind of tweaking may be necessary on other distros.  Once AUR is set up, I have run "yay -S texlive-installer" or one may use other AUR helpers.   I think it's not possible to install this with pacman.

As far as this problem of the OP, I cannot help.

Alan Davis

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Jack Kamm <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> By "LaTeX" I mean "that which is necessary to have a functioning latex
> system." If by lower-level you mean the ecosystem itself vs. compiling
> errors, completely agree. Clearly some core components are missing.
> For example, the texmf.cnf file is provided by the arch package
> texlive-core (assuming a package was used), so that's potentially not
> even installed.
> - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/texlive-core/

I would also suggest referring to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live#Installation for the
packages to install on Arch. I myself am using Archlinux-packaged TeX
Live without any issues. I believe I installed "texlive-most",
"texlive-lang", and "biber", which are the 3 main packages/groups
recommended by the wiki.

--
[Fill in the blanks]

The use of corrupt manipulations and blatant rhetorical ploys ...--- outright lying, flagwaving, personal attacks, setting up phony alternatives, misdirection, jargon-mongering, evading key issues, feigning disinterested objectivity, willful misunderstanding of other points of view---suggests that ... lacks both credibility and evidence.

             ---- Edward Tufte (in context of making presentations)