Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:21:34 -0500

> But I don't think the issue is with package.el per se.

Maybe it needs fixes elsewhere as well, but it's via package.el that the
problem is usually exposed.

> You get the same problem if you try to install org-mode manually
> without package.el.

Depends how you do it.

> What is really needed to fix this problem is some mechanism which will
> ensure all org related definitions are somehow purged from the running
> instance before attempting to install and compile a new version.

package.el does try to do that nowadays (in
`package--load-files-for-activation`).

It doesn't/can't handle all situations, but it should solve most of the
common issues.  Since it's virtually impossible to fix it 100%, we
depend on reports of actual problems in order to know what still needs
to be fixed (they need to be reproducible so we can figure out exactly
what happened, since it's not always obvious how best to avoid the
problem).

        Stefan