Re: Incompatible changes regarding link

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Incompatible changes regarding link
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 22:10:32 +0100

Kiwon Um <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't know what the issue in the past interpretation was, but I am
> just not sure whether it's a good idea to enforce that we must use
> such a special character, which we cannot directly see from the
> editor.

This is because you are using an ambiguous construct. There are things
you cannot do in Org (e.g., starting a line with "|" and expect it to be
something else than a table), yet, Org provides a syntax to work around
the problem. I agree this is not perfect.

>> > [[https://somewhere-to-url][[My Link]]] is not properly exported; the
>> > closing bracket "]" is not included in the exported link.
>>
>> This looks like a different problem. If you want to include the
>> brackets, you need to escape them, as explained in the ORG-NEWS
>> document, or in the manual:
>>
>>   [[https://somewhere-to-url][\[My Link\]]]
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work either.
> [[https://www.youtube.com/][\[You Tube\]]] is exported as <a
> href="https://www.youtube.com/";>\[You Tube\</a>]

Indeed! I forgot about that: the escaping mechanism is for the link
part. For the description part, you have to use a zero width space, too.
Note that `org-insert-link' (C-c C-l) does that automatically.

IIRC, square brackets were forbidden in descriptions (and changed into
curly brackets automatically) before that change.