Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 09:24:16 +0100

Hello,

Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:

> It also always shows the shrink/expend overlay, even if that is not
> desired.

Why is it not desired? Are you talking about the "…" or the whole
overlay, including the spaces?

> I find it visually intrusive, and the extra character
> introduces a new misalignment.

I do not notice any misalignment, unless I type in the column, in which
case, I realign it the usual way, e.g., with TAB.

Could you show an ECM?

> While everyone has their own preferences, developers should not impose
> their preferences on users, who may decide to make different choices.

If you read the initial thread, you will notice that I asked for
feedback during the development of the feature. I also integrated
suggestions. As a developer, I cannot do more. In any case, I did not
impose this on anyone. We're going nowhere with your remark.

> The dynamic shrink feature added a new capability that many will find
> useful, but it also removed the ability to do things the older and
> simpler way.

I don't know. You still have to point out what "things" you are talking
about. So far, you only expressed your dislike of the change. I think
I got it already.

> It should have been added as an option, so either static or dynamic
> behaviour can be selected by the user.

I didn't think so two years ago, when I implemented this, and I still
don't think so.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou