Re: Have :var reference a value

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: Have :var reference a value
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 18:18:32 +0000

> On Dec 8, 2019, at 8:52 AM, George Mauer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I'm playing around with learning racket in an org buffer and I have a bunch
> of blocks that look like this
>
>    #+begin_src racket :var value="abbracadaabra"
>    ...do stuff with value...
>    #+end_src
>

>    #+begin_src racket :var value="abbracadaabra"
>    ...do other stuff with value...
>    #+end_src
>
> Is there a way to move the "abbracadaabra" string into a single location so
> that I can just pull the var from that? I know I can put it in a table or a
> list, but how about into a single value?

Make it a property:

#+PROPERTY: magic abbracadabra

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var value=(org-entry-get (point) "magic" t)
value
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: abbracadabra

When you add/change a  property like this be sure to update (C-c C-c on the
PROPERTY line or save, close, open the file).

For a long string, you might put it in a src block and then use :var
value=block-name() to get it.

HTH,

Chuck