Re: Emacs bug 37890; killing capture buffer

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Emacs bug 37890; killing capture buffer
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 17:07:35 -0700

i might be completely off on this, but it seems the problem is that
there is a corrupted buffer.

in particular, there is a missing newline at the end of the narrowed
region in the capture buffer.  this causes the next header to join the
last line in the captured buffer.

i encountered this problem today.  i added a task and duplicated it.
this caused the corruption.  it also screwed up the stars level, but
never mind that.

so if i'm not completely off, which i might be, it's not so much
killing the buffer as the fact that the state is corrupted in the
first place.

if the state is corrupted by the lack of a newline at the end of the
capture buffer, that can be fixed by adding one there.  but the user
can screw that up by deleting it.

if the state is corrupted by the lack of a newline just after the
capture buffer, then that can be fixed -- maybe partly -- by adding a
newline there.

this seems to me to be the right thing to do.

i don't think this will create any blank lines.

but *if* it does, it is much better to have the computer crash with
the only corruption being the addition of a blank line, than to have a
header corrupted.

i am the designer of the indirect buffer capture idea.  i did not
implement it, however.

the indirect buffer capture mechanism was to be an improvement on
remember.el, and replaced it.  you might still be able to find
remember.el if you prefer the separate file idea.

not sure if my brain is working properly right now, but that's the basic idea.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.