Re: Long links

From: Trey Ethan Harris
Subject: Re: Long links
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 19:45:06 -0500

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 19:23 Steven Penny <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 6:18 PM Trey Ethan Harris wrote:
> I think you did not explain your issue clearly, then—on GitHub, long lines and
> long links are displayed perfectly, as this example with a 434-character line
> and your originally-mentioned link shows, with no horizontal scrolling and no
> special styling:
>
> https://gist.github.com/treyharris/fcfb2558806e35ffc8d3dd4502a06c39

If you had browsed beyond even the most basic example, you would see that your
point falls apart:

https://github.com/cup/autumn/blob/master/docs/append-to-array/index.html

Uh... that’s an HTML file—this is the emacs-orgmode mailing list. And viewing that page as rendered HTML in a browser, there’s no horizontal scrolling I see (and doesn’t appear to be with your styles as rendered at https://cup.github.io/autumn/append-to-array/). I was asking for an example of an Org mode file showing the issue that’s concerning you, not just proof that GitHub sometimes does horizontal scrolling.

If you’re asking about long lines in general that could be generated as export from Org-mode to any other format, such as Org *into* HTML, and then want to limit the lengths of the lines of the exported document code generated, in characters—and not what is displayed in width as pixels—then I don’t understand why you’d even be looking at Org-mode’s own link syntax. Line breaks in an Org file do not, in the general case, propagate into exported formats (except when line breaks are significant, like in source blocks). So successfully line-breaking in the middle of a URL in Org wouldn’t necessarily generate a line-broken URL in the resulting HTML (or TeX or PDF, source or rendered).

In any case, there will be no single solution to this—any ox library for Org export you use will have to be modified if they don’t handle line-breaks the way you want.

If you’re planning on including verbatim Org source examples _in_ the generated HTML (as you are currently doing for comparing programming languages), that’s the case where a long Org source line might bleed visibly into the final rendered output. Are you?