Confused about src vs example and LaTeX export

From: Norman Walsh
Subject: Confused about src vs example and LaTeX export
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 10:53:10 +0000

Hello again,

I’m confused about the distinction between BEGIN_EXAMPLE and BEGIN_SRC
and LaTeX export. I tend to use BEGIN_SRC more often because I’m
taking advantage of Babel output.

Consider this file:

#+TITLE: Test Org File

This is an example.

* Simple environments

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE emacs-lisp
(+ 3 4)
#+END_EXAMPLE

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(+ 3 4)
#+END_SRC

* LaTeX attributes

#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment lstlisting
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE emacs-lisp
(+ 3 4)
#+END_EXAMPLE

#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment lstlisting
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(+ 3 4)
#+END_SRC

In the simple case, both EXAMPLE and SRC export as {verbatim}
environments; that’s fine as a default. In the second case, the
ATTR_LATEX request for the {lstlisting} environment works on EXAMPLE
but appears to be ignored on SRC.

To confound me further, setting org-latex-custom-lang-environments
doesn’t seem to have any effect in either case.

  (setq org-latex-custom-lang-environments
     '((emacs-lisp "lstlisting")))

I’m not sure what I’m overlooking.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm