RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 23:07:11 +0000

Hi again,

After thinking a while I'm leaning towards thinking this should be handled
already in the element link parser and interpreter. Need a bit more metadata
for that though, to be able to deconstruct and reconstruct the link properly
while still providing the correct paths.

Hardcoding the translation of attachment-links into file-links in an in-between
layer (ox.el - that is somewhat complicated as well) is not transparent and I
think best to avoid. Even if an attachment link is /very/ similar to a file
link it may be best still to treat them for what they are. If some export
back-ends out in the wild don't work with attachment-links today then so be it.
But let's at least make it easy to fix! So I'll try to remove the hard coding
of org-attach invocation and instead make the attachment-path when parsed by
org-element return a path that is an actual file-system path out of the box.
I'll see what I figure out in terms of code I suppose...!

What do you say?