Re: ob-scheme haunted source code block?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: ob-scheme haunted source code block?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:46:22 +0000

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 12:01, Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi list,

I've been learning some Scheme recently and decided to use Org
mode and babel so I could document my progress, keep notes, etc.
together with the code I write. I also installed the geiser
package to work with Scheme source files directly.

This all worked perfectly, until I made the (apparent) mistake of
typing =C-c C-c= on an _expression_ while editing a source code
block. That is, I had pressed =C-c '= in an Org buffer on a source
block and in the editing buffer that popped up, I hit =C-c C-c=
(bound to =geiser-eval-definition=) on a particular function (well
procedure...) definition.

>From that moment on, that particular procedure definition seems
haunted. Whenever I evaluate a source block containing it from
within an Org file, the associated REPL is doomed. It takes about
30 seconds for the evaluation to complete, during which time Emacs
seems to hang (no CPU activity, just waiting). Any further
interaction with the REPL from that point on, either from other
source blocks in the same file (all source blocks in it use the
same session) or in the REPL buffer directly, causes the same
hang.

I can `C-g` out of the hang, but this doesn't solve much because
any further interaction causes the same hang.

Putting the relevant procedure definition in a Scheme source file
and evaluating that (within Emacs, through geiser) is
unproblematic, so the code itself is not to blame.

OK, up to this point I am thinking: this is all quite curious, but presumably not really a big problem, as you surely don't need to use this rather strange workflow...

The weirdest thing about this is that the problem is persistent. I
restarted Emacs and in my desperation even rebooted the computer,
but to no avail.

But this is indeed weird.  Are you saying that you can reboot your computer, restart Emacs, open the relevant Org file, evaluate the source block (without any C-c ') and you still see the problem?

If so, I wonder if it's a real but intermittent problem in your code that was somehow made more likely by the original workflow, and now you're just being unlucky?

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I rgrepped
through my =.emacs.d= directory to see if the relevant procedure
name turns up anywhere but found nothing. I'm not really sure
where to look beyond that.

Versions:

IELM> emacs-version
"26.3"