Re: [ANN] org-ql 0.4 released

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [ANN] org-ql 0.4 released
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:24:43 +1100

I don't disagree with most of what you write. I do think a big part of
the problem is inconsistency and poor practices by some maintainers
which is at the hart of the issue. Sometimes it seems that package
maintainers put too much emphasis on getting the latest package out and
forget about the stability and dependencies that users have.

All of this leaves me wondering why the ELPA system doens't adopt a
semantic versioning scheme and configure the repositories to
keep/maintain previous versions. Emacs was very late to the whole
'package' concept and it is a little disappointing that more time wasn't
invested in understanding the challenges and solutions implemented by
other systems like deb, rpm, CPAN, Java, ruby, python etc. There is
little unique to the Emacs environment that other environments haven't
had to resolve one way or the other.

What would be good is an approach based on sematic versioning similar to
npmjs.com, maven, clojars and other packaging systems.

Semantic versioning won't solve all the issues. The lack of namespaces
or ability of libraries to depend on specific versions of a library are
both significant challenges. However, a semantic version does provide
more information than something like version 20200123, which just tells
me the release date. At least with complaint semantic versions I can
have a better idea as to whether the changes are just a bug fix, an
enhancement or major API changes that may break existing dependencies.

Tim

--
Tim Cross